Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Let's Share...our favorite fast recipe!

I recently taught a class for church discussing 30 minute meals and how to put something healthy together quickly. Now mind you my term "healthy" tends to mean, it is not deep fried and it includes most of the major food groups. I try to include as many nutrient dense foods with as little fat as possible but I would not call myself a health food expert...haha. My kids however are always complaining about my previous occupation as a high school food and nutrition teacher and how it is not fair, all their friends get to eat whatever they want...I insert my SMILE here and tell them sorry they are stuck with me!

Back to my class... I shared our favorite fast meal what we call Taquitos; it is basically a rolled taco baked in the oven. It's a quick meal that's a step up from Quesadillas without much more time.
The ingredients are all staples in my pantry so we can always count on them!

I blend the Rotel, draining the excess juice first ( my kids don't like chunks/ but I do ).
Mix with canned chicken (also drained) [I use 2 cans chicken per every 1 can rotel.]
Sprinkle some cheese into the mixture and stir.

I lay all my tortillas across the counter and put a spoonful of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla, I usually end up with 24 taquitos. I do it this way to speed up the process and to divide the mixture evenly as to get as many taquitos as possible. Then I roll them all up, place on 2 cookie sheets ( they get crispier if they don't touch), and bake at 375 degrees 15 minutes or until slightly golden.
I  usually serve it with mexican rice and mixed vegetables.
Mmm..Mmm, my kids come running for this meal.

NOW IT's YOUR turn....
Please share with me (us) your favorite quick and easy meal, if you can just post it in the comment section please do so! However, if it requires more detail or space then please email it to me at simply2inspire@gmail.com and I will post it for you!

In return I'm GIVING away this......MENU planner (loaded with our favorite eats.)

{I will randomly chose a winning entrant after we recieve 25 entries.}

Let's have fun and help each other out by sharing our easy & yummy favorites with each other!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

That is on my menu for this week!!!! Thanks for the class Angel. I will think of a recipe to post here!!

Skeeter said...

Adding this to my menu this week :) YUMMY!