Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Deliciously Healthy Muffins!


I am always looking for a quick yummy muffin that has lots of good things in it. My little guy loves muffins and it makes me happy to be able to say yes, especially when its loaded with goodness. Of course I usually throw a few chocolate chips in because then the big kids will eat them without complaining too! The inspiration for these came from this recipe at allrecipes.com . I was missing a few of her ingredients but loved the ideas so I tweaked it and made it my own. Adding pumpkin instead of squash, oats instead of oat bran, and wheat germ ( my favorite hidden additive!)

Here is my version:

  1/2 cup butter, softened
  1/2 cup brown sugar, or to taste
  2 large bananas, mashed
  1/2 cup pumpkin                 
  2 carrots, grated
  2 eggs, beaten
  1 cup all-purpose flour
  1/2 cup instant oats
  1/4 cup wheat germ
  1 teaspoon baking soda
  1 teaspoon cinnamon
  1/2 teaspoon salt
  1/2 cup mini chocolate chips/ raisins (stir these in by hand after all the other ingredients are combined.)


Directions:
  1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 24 mini muffin cups or 12 standard muffin cups. ( I actually got about 19 standard muffins)
  2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Mix in the mashed bananas, pumpkin, carrots, and eggs. In a seperate bowl stir together the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, wheat germ and salt until just combined. Then add to the creamed mixture, and mix thoroughly. Stir in Chocolate chips or raisins now, then spoon the batter equally into the prepared muffin cups.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. Store at room temperature for up to two days, or freeze.
 THESE ARE INCREDIBLELY MOIST!

I plan on trying this with zucchini instead of carrots this summer. Mmmm..can wait! Enjoy! 

No comments: